Canvas Training Series | July 10, 2020
The Schulich IS&T department has scheduled upcoming training sessions to prepare for online course delivery in the Fall 2020 semester. This training is highly recommended for any instructors who have not yet delivered a course online, and is designed to equip faculty with the tools and techniques required to deliver an engaging and effective online learning experience.
Beginning July 9th and continuing over the next couple months, we will offer four different one-hour sessions. Please see below for a summary of each session, and visit the links below to see training dates & times, full training agenda, and sign up.
1) Creating Your Course on Canvas
- Accessing & navigating Canvas and your Canvas course
- Adding content and updating the Canvas syllabus
- Introduction to using Zoom
2) Synchronous (Live) and Asynchronous (Recorded) Lectures
- Setting up your office for professional looking & sounding live and recorded sessions
- Lecturing with Zoom
- Recording mini-lectures with PowerPoint, Zoom and Echo360
3) Learning Activities & Assessments
- Keep synchronous Zoom lectures interactive with breakout rooms and polls
- How to use assignments, discussions, quizzes, publisher resources and peer reviews to create dynamic activities students can complete flexibly
- Integrating tools to support academic integrity (TurnItIn)
- Facilitating and evaluating student presentations remotely
4) Communication, Grading & Feedback
- Announcements, messaging and office hours in Canvas, Zoom and Outlook
- Setting up and grading online assignments (TurnItIn, Rubrics)
- Providing feedback and grades Canvas
We will also be hosting live drop-in Q&A sessions starting next Thursday, where you can ask questions or explore topics in learning technology with a Schulich IS&T expert. They will run every Thursday at either 10am or 2pm– Click here to see specific dates and sign up.
Visit the Online Course Delivery Guide, a companion course to these training sessions. Here you can find interactive examples, demonstrations, session recordings, and how-to guides related to the four sessions.
We look forward to seeing you on Zoom!